2. Installation - Configuration¶
Notice : Before going further into installation check that you meet the following requirements :
- Magento CE version 22.214.171.124 > 1.8.1
- UPS account and UPS shipper account (will be described further)
UPS account creation¶
To be able to function, UPS Shipment requires to have an active account registered at www.ups.com and select the country and languages you wish to use
Go to www.ups.com and click on New user on top of the screen
Fill in required fields and complete your account creation
UPS Shipper account creation¶
Once your UPS account is created, you need to have a UPS shipper account in order to be able to generate tracking numbers and labels.
To open a new UPS shipper account, follow the steps below
- Log in to your UPS account, and in the main menu click on “Shipping > Open a UPS account
After few registration steps, your account will be created and you will be provided with a UPS Account Number (6 characters code)
UPS Access Key¶
Now, to be able to communicate with UPS API, your UPS account needs to have an Access Key
- To generate one, once logged in your UPS account, go to “Support > Technology Support”
- On the next page, In the “Tools and resources” part, click on UPS Developer Kit
- On the UPS Developer kit page, in the “How to get Started” part click on “Request an access key”
- Fill in the form and click on “Request access key” on the bottom of the page
Your access key is now created. Check in the table that your access key as Production access type for “Shipping- Package” developer resource. If yes, you can now use it in UPS Shipment module for Magento. Copy it somewhere as reminder.
If you lose your Access Key, you can generates another one following previous steps
Installing UPS Shipment for Magento is very easy. Simply follow the steps bellow.
- Download the archive containing the module from your boostmyshop.com account
- Once downloaded, open the archive with appropriate software (winrar, 7-Zip, etc...) and extract its content to a convenient place on your computer.
Preparing magento for installation¶
1) Check that magento cache is active System > Cache management 2) Disable Magento compilation System > Tools > Compilation 3) Disable any full page cache currently activated on your server.
- Upload the content of the extracted folder to the root of your Magento installation
- Go to your Magento back office and refresh cache
- Log-out of Magento back office and log-in again to refresh permissions
Your module is now installed !
As UPS is very picky on informations sent to its API, a good configuration of Magento and your UPS Shipment for Magento module is very important to avoid troubles
We will not treat of Magento UPS shipping method configuration here. For more information, check on Magento online knowledge database
You will be able to find UPS Shipment configuration in : System > Configuration > Sales > UPS Shipment
In this tab, you will be able to find generic options that impacts on module behavior.
- Enabled : Set this to yes to enable communication between your magento installation and UPS shipping services
- Duties and taxes billing method : Use this option to define the way that duties and taxes will be billed.
- Enable address checking : Use this to make UPS check addresses that will be used for your shipments. Notice : Take care that if an address is not validated by UPS, no shipping label or tracking number will be created.
- Shipment PDF overloading : Use this to rewrite default magento shipment PDF with UPS Shipment for Magento’s one
- Force UPS usage on selected shipping methods : Use this box to select shipping methods which will be used with UPS. When the order shipping method is NOT ups, then our extension can not know the exact method you want to use. So it will apply this default method if you dont select another one from the shipment form.
- UPS default method to force shipments with : The default UPS shipping method that will be used to force other shipping methods.
- Origin of shipments : The origin of the shipments that you will send. This is used to define available shipping methods when forcing UPS method within shipment’s creation.
In this tab, you will have to enter informations concerning your UPS account and access key.
Notice : Take note that each of those fields are required in order for the module to work properly
This section will allow you to enter informations about shipper.
Notice : Informations filled here must correspond with the ones that you used to create your UPS account.
In this tab, you will be able to enter information about the location from where your shipments will be sent.
Notice : Informations here are required. The country you choose must correspond with the one you used to create your UPS account.
Use informations of this tab to specify default values about your packages.
Options in this tab are used by developers, or in case of troubles with UPS Shipments for Magento extension.
- Test environment : This options allows you to specify if you want to use or not UPS CIE (testing) webservice. If this is set to “Yes”, no shipment will be created at UPS, but you will be provided with tracking numbers and labels to test installation of the module.
- Purge label olders than X days : This values is used to define the frequency to which UPS lables will be wiped from hard drive.
- Activate extension logging : Use this option to turn on/off specific logging for UPS Shipment for Magento module.